An Empty Nester Christmas, Star Wars and a Day of Gluten-Filled Food





Christmas was different this year than any other. Last year was our first no-kid-at-home Christmas, but I was so sick, it didn't matter. This year, I'm healthy as can be, but I was so busy with getting missionaries taken care of, by Christmas Eve, I was worn out, wrung out and standing in the middle of the evening with nothing to do. Hubs and I bickered, which was unfortunate. But I realize now I was dipping after the high energy of asking for, gathering and delivering Christmas gifts to missionaries for weeks. It was a high, and then came the inevitable low.

Christmas Day, our son on an LDS mission Skyped with us. For those who don't know, we only get two phone calls per year. Yes, you read that right--PER YEAR.

We get emails every week. But no texts. No calls but the two. He's in Massachusetts, the land of my father and ancestors. Where it is 65 degrees to our 30 and lower in Utah. And our hour-long Skype was wonderful. Too short but satisfying all the same.

We went to see The Heart of the Sea on Christmas Eve. This is a great movie and especially for me as I studied Moby Dick for one whole semester in college. But the movie was sad and for someone who was on the downside already, it wasn't the best choice. And if you're squeamish about watching old-time whaling (or modern-day whaling, for that matter!) don't see the movie. Even knowing the whales weren't real, as an Empath, I felt horrible seeing "whales" die on film. It happens in real life, even if what was filmed was fake. Made me sick and sad.


Today, Christmas Day, we went to see Star Wars. Because some people may read this blog who haven't seen the movie yet, I will not give anything away. But to those who've seen it, I guessed what was going to happen before it happened. It's not that exciting to be right about something like this. However, I was thrilled with the movie and two things just kept popping into my mind: 1. When can I come see it again? 2. How grateful I was that this fine movie, so close to the original movies, was created so people of this generation can feel the excitement of Star Wars.

Finally, starting on January 4th (or earlier) I am doing a cleanse that will entail, in part, going off all gluten, sugar and dairy. I. Am. So. Ready. But this morning's waffles were Ex-Cell-Ent!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Vote Counts--Count Every Vote

#BWW--This Stands for #Bernie Would Have Won--and He Would Have

The Easiness of Negativity, The Difficulty of Positivity