Conference Truths, Conference Traditions

(Elder Renlund's Talk)
Tonight I am pondering the last two days' worth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints' Semi-Annual General Conference.

In recent years, this Conference has gotten better and better. More love, less judgment. More kindness, less reprimand. I admit, I had become used to holding my breath, hoping speakers would say nothing that would break the hearts of my gay friends, my women friends, my non-member, less-active, or no-longer-LDS friends. In years past, it was sometimes brutal.

This Saturday dawned bright and early, as we were going to gather with the over 20,000 others who were coming to see the prophet and other speakers. We were in nosebleed seats, so we didn't have an up close and personal experience, but it didn't matter. The gathering of the Saints was heartening and peaceful. I loved it there.

(Elder Bragg's Talk)

The speakers were even better that I could have imagined. My all-time favorite GA (that's Mormon-ese for General Authority), Elder Renlund gave a profound, inspiring talk that left no doubt in my mind that the Church is working to embrace everyone, and what *I* heard was a gentle smack-down of our current administration.

The entire Conference was filled with light, hope, love, faith, great messages--and no feelings of loss or sadness. I have actually cried through former Conference talks. And I remember years ago when the focus was on the minutiae of the Church, like how to conduct Sacrament meetings. This time--we were all about the Savior. I loved it!

(Elder Brough's Talk)

Today, Sunday, I watched Conference at home with my son. My husband was upstairs, listening from our bed. From time to time, I got on Facebook, but I had to stop. The wonderful messages of eternal families from the pulpit were in drastic contrast to the lack of family that sat in my family room. We don't have a passel of kids to keep busy and entertained and quiet during Conference. We don't have married kids that are active in the Church/that live near us/that want to be with us during Conference.

I am not ungrateful for my son watching with me and in fact, since last year at this time, he was watching on the East Coast on his mission, I felt grateful to have him back and soaking up the great messages.

(Elder Causse's Talk)
I have realized that what brings me down most about this Church is the reality that I don't always feel like I'm doing it right. Is there a right way? I am not sure. But I do know the fantasy life that I want to have is actually happening in thousands of families around the world. People actually DO gather together to watch Conference (and spend Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, and so forth) and we do not.

I am so grateful for the messages I heard this weekend! I love that my family can be together forever. I just wish some of the messages had more impact on my earthly family, now.
(President Eyring's Talk)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Vote Counts--Count Every Vote

#BWW--This Stands for #Bernie Would Have Won--and He Would Have

The Easiness of Negativity, The Difficulty of Positivity